Thursday, March 13, 2008

4 days to Race Day!

I am excited about Sunday’s half-marathon. I know I won’t have a great finishing time, but I’ve learned a lot about running in the past 3 months and I think after this I’ll stick to improving my speed for a while and then run another one. I’ve still been experimenting with energy gels, although energy gels AND energy drinks should not be combined on the same run because then your run will be over. My favorite is vanilla or chocolate Gu, and then next favorite is Power Bar (I think) Chocolate. I tried some fruity ones, and a Clif Bar (I think?) brand one and those were just awful. I love running with caffeinated “Invigorating Propel” or “G2” Gatorade because mentally (and physically) the caffeine really makes a difference.

My goal for the race Sunday is to shuffle along at a 12 minute mile pace. Running straight through this would put me finishing at 2:36. I’m sure I’ll stop for water/gels/bathroom along the way, so I’ll probably be more like 2:50, but I’m hoping since I like to sprint at the end of most of my runs that I can average a faster pace than 12 minute miles. (I like to set low expectations).

I was actually hoping to document this training process, along with concepts of training while traveling/keeping fit on the road to write into an article for a magazine, so I’ve been taking some pictures along the way (a few) and brainstorming what to write about. I don’t know if I’ll have the time/ambition to actually write the article, but hey, why not?! It might not make a runner magazine, but those corporate/travel magazines are always talking about exercising while on the road, etc, so maybe I could try there. Anyhow. That’s a not-so widely known interest of mine.

I’m putting in a post-run picture, mostly because blogs are more fun with pictures. I don’t mean them to always be of ME, not trying to be self-centered, but, that just happens to be what has been near my camera.

In other fun worlds, last week in Dallas it snowed TWICE while I was there. I took a picture in my hotel room to document 1) the lightweight blue hooded sweatshirt I brought from California and 2) the mega-weight jacket someone from work brought me so I wouldn’t freeze. My coworkers love me. 

Lastly. Between when I wrote this blog in MS Word and logged into my blogger to post, I forgot my blogger password. Does anyone else have trouble reading those security things where they distort a word and make you human-read it and type it in to validate that you aren’t some computer spammer?! Lately I have been having issues with those things!!


1 comment:

Melissa said...

I have totally had issues with the hard to read words. I had to skip and try again 4 times the other day on ticketmaster!
Hope to see you soon.