Tuesday, October 8, 2013

7 Weeks


Its a good thing I took that smiley happy baby picture last week because I haven't seen him for a few days!  We had company for the weekend (yay! and he smiled for them...) but in the wake of it, I'm exhausted. Zach and I are also trying to get him to sleep more in his bed, unsure if that means we are immediately making him fall asleep by himself and cry it out (really hasn't worked so far...worked once for 5 minutes) or just managing to put him into bed when he falls asleep on us first.

Last night he slept 1-7a (I went to bed at 11:30 - Zach got the late shift) but after a good sleep, he skipped his next 2 expected naps and didn't go down til nearly 12.  I think I'd rather have the 5am wakeup call! Yesterday he ate at 5, 7:30, 9:30 but conked out immediately after each time.

So I guess the bottom line is, this uber organized, schedule loving mom is going to have to wait a little longer to define her baby by numbers or a clock.  I go back to work in 3 weeks (a very, very busy 3 weeks!) so this makes me a little nervous.  But since every week is different, I'm just trying to survive every day.

And for the baby...he can stick out his tongue when you suggest it (and model it) (in retrospect, perhaps this wasn't the best behavior to teach) and now we are working on making a circle mouth face and trying to clap.  He seems to reach for his playmat toys (more left arm than right) but since he doesn't love playtime every day, its hard to tell if he is trying or just successfully flailing.  Doesn't like tummy time, but can lift his head. Spends the whole time trying to push his butt up in the air and kicking his legs. This morning, though, he practiced a great Superman pose, both arms and both feet off the air - great abs on this guy! His favorite way to be held is UP (don't eve think about holding him in the cradle position in your arms) and likes to go outside.  I think that is all for now...8lbs 13oz last thursday, too.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, I'm trying to remember but I feel like around this time Jack started sleeping more through the night and ditching all those naps. He started doing a short morning one (45 min at the most) and then a long afternoon one (2-3 hrs). So, your kiddo might be transitioning. It has it's pros and cons. I feel like I actually got MORE done when he was tiny then I do now haha.

As for the crying it out thing... I'm not convinced it works on every kid. I totally thought I would just let my kid cry it out. Then I actually HAD a baby haha. Jack pretty much hyperventilates and starts choking on his spit with this tactic. He actually does better if I just don't pick him up but go in, calm him down, put his binky back in, and then leave. I let him go 2 min...or until he gets too worked up. I may go in 5 x's before he falls asleep but it's better then hearing him scream bloody murder. Every kid is different though. So don't feel bad if he doesn't fall into a schedule right off. I thought I was just being a big softy but I think this system works way better for us. (Totally not telling you what to do BTW). :)

anna said...

That was me by the way. I guess Jas was signed in haha.

jess said...

He's so stinkin' cute. I want one! Oh wait...